Enter Next Door, 2012 (Draft)
Next Door is a clever site that has been set up to recognize CVNA boundaries (or street address ranges in Collins View?). It's like Facebook confined to a neighborhood, or group of nearby neighborhoods. (This has been widely expanded recently -- 2021.)
The registration is straight forward. You simply go directly to nextdoor.com using your web browser and enter your home address. Don't worry, your address can be hidden or kept private. Once NextDoor sees that your address is in Collins View, you can join by entering an email address to use, your name and other items that you can choose share about yourself. Once you submit your email address, you will rcv a message from NextDoor with a link to click on in order to verify the message was rcv-ed.
From then on, if you wish, you can log into nextdoor.com to review and/or change your various preferences any time day or night. For example, you can elect to receive a "digest" of messages once per day rather than one message at a time, or you can elect to rcv NO messages and only go to the web site from time to time.
Claire says: You can easily adjust how much email you receive with this platform. Go to your Profile and on the top right there are two boxes. One says "Edit Profile" and the other "Edit Email Settings". Click on the second and be sure to select a level of communication that is helpful without being overwhelming.
See About Us (nextdoor inc) page for company profile, mission, leadership. etc. There was a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) about NextDoor, Privacy, Email Address Verification, etc. But that seems to have fallen away. Pease check out the guidelines for use.
- Do emergency alerts happen outside of message digests? Urgent alerts will be sent only in extreme situations (earthquake, Amber alert, emergency safety concerns, etc). To adjust when/how you would like to receive these messages, click on your name (in the upper right), choose the "Email" tab and look at the "Urgent alert" line. You can choose to receive them immediately, as part of a digest or not at all. There is also an option to have the alerts texted to you.
- Who sends alerts?
- What if you have interests in CVNA, but your address is not in CV?
- When does a person Post on the website vs Reply to a message vs Send an alert? (I realize this answer depends on user-selected preferences.)
- Point out "More" -- Resources, Photos, Recommendations?
- What about Groups? (Neighborhood Emergency Team)
- Encourage people to poke around the site?
The above is a lotta stuff to expect people to go through... can we perhaps pick out a few basic items to explain or interpret here? Obviously We don't need to re-document all the things that are on NextDoor, but we should perhaps say what happens if you reply to a message that comes out? Who sends out emergency notices?
We don't need to get into how Buy/Sell works!
Drafted 12/22/12. Reviewed 2/20/20.